Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Ramen Foo Yung and Fried Rice

Once again this was a dinner that I made as opposed to just a bento, but I'll put the leftovers in a lunchbox for tomorrow so it basically counts.

Tonight I tried a new recipe I found on this awesome website called MyFridgeFood.com. You select all the ingredients you actually have on hand and it spits out recipes that you can make with those ingredients. I find it pretty amusing, especially since most of what is in my house are condiments so it just keeps suggesting sauces at me. Oh well.



Anyways, this recipe was Ramen Foo Yung - a basic Egg Foo Yung recipe combined with Ramen noodles. I whisked eggs together with chopped white onion, chopped green onion, soy sauce, sesame oil, the Ramen seasoning packet, and a little baking powder. At the same time I cooked up two packages of Ramen noodles. When they were done I fried them up for a few minutes in melted butter. Then I added in the egg mixture. I used the big George Foreman grill to make my Egg Foo Yung as that is what I use to make omelets and it is the best way I know to make any kind of egg/cake/whatevers. I cooked the whole mess for about five minutes and it poofed up nicely. I was impressed with the variety of flavors the Ramen Foo Yung had. It was way tastier than anticipated.

To go with the egg mess I made fried rice. It was pretty basic. Long grain white rice, scrambled egg with a little Teriyaki sauce, white onions with a dash of chili oil, and frozen vegetables. I used a mix of red, green, and yellow peppers as I think they add a lot of flavor to the dish. Mirin and soy sauce were mixed in with the whole business and it was stir fried until done. Not my most exciting fried rice mixture but it works well with the egg dish.

No comments: