Sunday, June 3, 2012

Kao Pad Tamada (Plain Red Fried Rice)

This year I decided I wanted to try and make every recipe out of a cookbook. Normally I just pick and choose things from them and I have a feeling I'm missing out on some interesting foods and cooking experiences. So I'm going to change all that by actually (attempting) making everything out of one book. And "The Original Thai Cookbook" by Jennifer Brennan is that cookbook. I like Thai food a lot, it should work out.

The first recipe I made is actually one I've done before. I'm a fried rice fiend and have tried dozens of different recipes for it. This one is different than most because it includes ketchup and fish sauce as opposed to soy sauce and mirin (sweet cooking sake). It has a sharp, vinegar-y taste, with an underlying fish-y flavor.

The ingredients included long grain white rice, tiny canned shrimp, ketchup, fish sauce (Nam pla), white onions, and green onions. The recipe actually called for a cup of normal sized cooked shrimp, but I thought it would be easier to use canned. I think this was a mistake, as the shrimp were mushy and broke up a lot so you couldn't really taste them (plus TheBoyfriend mentioned he thought they tasted "a little off"). I won't be using them again. The green onions were included in the recipe as a garnish, but I went ahead and mixed them in when the rice was almost done stir frying. I love green onions, but prefer them slightly cooked.

This rice was okay, but a little boring. I'm looking forward to trying the next rice recipe from the cookbook, as it includes a lot more ingredients such as pork, eggs, and green peppers. It should be exciting.

No comments: